This summer I'm back at home so I try and get down to Cola as much as possible to see my roommates and friends and catch up with everyone. It was this trip back that I was able to share with my best friend and roommates what I learned on Greek Summit and why I am choosing to change some of my actions. I'm not the same person that I was this past school year and by being a role model for my friends I am hoping that I can slowly plant a seed in their hearts and be a light for the Lord.
This weekend my guy friends were getting a big group together to float the river and then have a cookout/party afterward. I've realized that I don't need to drink to have fun. A lot of my actions that I'm not proud of have come as a result of me drinking. So this weekend I politely said no when offered a drink and my decisions were respected by my friends which is truly a prayer answered. Peer pressure is something that is so easy to fall under and something I have struggled with this past year. By me saying no to these things I was able to raise a few questions out of one of my friends.
Tuesday night I randomly got a text from her asking "Do you think God forgives everyone for everything?" Honestly this text took my breathe away because I have been praying for her and asking others to pray for her to come to me with these kinds of questions so we could talk about how so much better life is when you are following Christ and not turning to boys and alcohol. Like me she has done things in her life that she is not proud of and that she is not proud of being known for. I assured her God forgives all. He sent his son Jesus Christ to die for our sins and to bear the burden of our sins on the cross. In order to be forgiven we simply must pray for forgiveness.
I encourage anyone reading this who may be struggling through some of the same things to simply pray to God to forgive you of your sins and to take away the shame and guilt that those actions have brought on you.
Prayer is a powerful thing however your actions must reflect this new change in you. You cannot simply pray for repentance every time you sin. You must change your actions and live according to the Lord.
To anyone who attended Greek Summit I just want to encourage you that whether you think it or not those seeds are being planted. We are lights for the Lord on our campuses that are so very dark. I just pray for each and every one of you that your prayers are answered and you are able to disciple to those around you no matter how close minded they may be. I never expected this friend to come to me. Prayer is a very powerful thing! PTL!
"The LORD is good to ALL, and his mercy is over ALL that he has made." Psalm 145:9.
"My sacrifice, O God, is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart you, God, will not despise." Psalm 51:17
"Make a joyful noise to God, all the earth; sing the glory of his name;give to him glorious praise." Psalm 66:1-2
No comments:
Post a Comment